Mount Laurel Basketball Health and Safety Protocols
Below is our guidelines for continued use of the schools. These will be posted on the website for your reference in the near future as well.
Our region recently moved into the orange zone for transmission, which changes the rules a little per the Department of Health. They state “ High (orange) exposed close contacts who are not fully vaccinated should be excluded for 14 days.” Unfortunately, this doesn’t provide a test out option.
Given this, if your child has been diagnosed with COVID, I need you to report back to your team if they developed symptoms within 24 hours of their last meeting/practice with the team. For example, if you practiced Saturday in the morning, did the onset of symptoms start before Sunday at noon? The health department recommends that contacts within 24 hours of the onset of symptoms quarantine unless fully vaccinated (which they define as 2 weeks after your last dose of the vaccine that you’ve chosen to receive). So – if you think the timeframe puts the team out of the 24 hour window, they should be ok to practice. Otherwise, the prudent thing to do is cancel practice until the quarantine period is over.
Also – if your child is sent home from school or unable to attend school because of any illness (such as the flu, stomach virus, etc.) please don’t send them to practice until after they are able to return to school.
1. YOU MUST BE MASKED TO ENTER ANY SCHOOL IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY. MOUNT LAUREL BASKETBALL IS PLAYED IN THE SCHOOL GYMS. THEREFORE, YOU MUST BE MASKED IN ORDER TO ATTEND A BASKETBALL GAME IN OUR PROGRAM. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR A MASK AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE SCHOOL BUILDING. IT IS THE COACH’S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE. IF YOU ARE A TRAVEL COACH AND A VISITING TEAM IS ENTERING THE BUILDING, PLEASE ENSURE THAT THEY KNOW THEY ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR A MASK.
2. WE WILL START TO SUPPLY THE MEDICAL KITS WITH MASK AND WILL PROVIDE TO YOU IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE.
3. IF THE COACH HAS TO INFORM YOU TO WEAR A MASK, THAT IS YOUR ONLY WARNING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN YOU BEING ASKED TO LEAVE THE BUILDING.
4. THESE ARE NOT MY RULES WITH REGARDS TO MASKS. I DO NOT CARE IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS POLITICS, SCIENCE, RELIGION OR ANYTHING ELSE. I ONLY CARE THAT OUR KIDS HAVE A PLACE TO PLAY BASKETBALL. I WILL NOT RISK LOSING THE GYM SPACE BECAUSE WE AS A COMMUNITY ARE UNABLE TO WEAR A MASK INSIDE A BUILDING THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAS MANDATED REQUIRES A MASK.
5. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CONSIDER YOUR CHILDREN AND THEIR ABILITY TO BE ABLE TO HAVE SOME SOCIAL AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN BASKETBALL WHEN YOU DECIDE IF YOU WILL BE WEARING A MASK OR NOT.
6. CHILDREN AND COACHES WILL HAVE THE OPTION TO REMOVE THEIR MASK WHEN ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN GAMEPLAY. WHEN ON THE BENCH THE COACH SHALL MONITOR AND ADVISE THE CHILDREN IF THEY SHOULD BE MASKED. FOR EXAMPLE IF A CHILD IS JUST COMING OUT FOR A SUBSTITUTE, THEY CAN WAIT TO PUT ON THEIR MASK FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.
7. SHOULD THESE POLICIES CHANGE, WE WILL ADVISE YOU.
8. NO CHILDREN SHOULD BE IN THE SCHOOL BUILDINGS UNESCORTED BY AN ADULT. IF YOU ARE A COACH AND HAVE PRACTICE, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERY CHILD IS PICKED UP BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE BUILDING.